Of Solomon. A royal psalm. A petitionary prayer on behalf of the king.
v.1-17 Petitions for the king (Solomon/Christ)
– give the king justice and righteousness (1-2)
– request for prosperity for the people (3)
– prayer for the poor and needy (4)
– may the people fear God (5)
– may the people be blessed and the righteous flourish. (6-7)
– may the king have dominion to the ends of the earth (8-11) (See Phil 2:10-11)
– prayer for the poor and needy (12-14)
– may the king have long life (15)
– may the land and people be fruitful (16)
– may all nations call the king blessed (17)
v.18-19 Blessings toward God.
18 Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
who alone does wondrous things.
19 Blessed be his glorious name forever;
may the whole earth be filled with his glory!
Amen and Amen!
v.20 Concluding statement. This concludes Book II of the Psalms.
This psalm looks forward to the time when Christ will return and reign forever. We are reminded to remember the poor and needy in our society.